Sunday, July 25, 2010

San Juan Island

Mike and I were able to get away for a weekend, thanks to Monte and Sandy who came and watched the girls. We ran out as fast as we could and made our way over to San Juan Island by car and by ferry. The very first thing we did was EAT! Eating was a main activity of the weekend. mmm.

Waiting for fish tacos and burger and fries.

That night we went to a Shakespeare in the park performance of Henry Vth which was, really, so good.

The next day we rented mopeds and toured around the island. The scenery was just so beautiful. It was exciting (the moped part) and relaxing (the scenery part) and fulfilling (the picnic part).


Taking a break. The Olympic Mtns are behind us here. And we could see Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker in the distance.

Mike at a face-flattening 25 MPH : )

Modeling safe and correct posture for a fun afternoon of moped riding. We stopped at all the national and county parks along the way. We're pretty sure we saw an Orca whale bobbing in and out of the water at Lime Kiln Park. We also saw a red fox hanging out on the road at American Camp, but I didn't get my camera out in time. At another place we stopped, "English Camp," there were some re-enacters out modeling blacksmithing and musket shooting.

Ah, the lavendar farm. Row upon rows of lavendar. It smelled so good (and made me kind of sleepy).

At Roche Harbor at the north end of the island. It was originally a lime processing plant that was turned into a residence and now is a vacation resort. It was very quaint and beautiful. A great place for a wedding (of which there was one that day).
That night we ate fantastic food and went to a community theatre play. But while the food was great, the show was only so so, and we left halfway through and found some live music. The band was really entertaining - they played a funked up version of classical music but the most entertaining part was the lead musician asking the restauranteurs to "quiet down" for the piano solos, which he played with great emotion.
Then up this morning for a heart-clogging, throughly enjoyable bed and breakfast meal and back on the ferry.
It's so nice to be able to get away. Thanks Monte and Sandy!

3 comments:

Cara said...

The San Juans were a place I always wanted to go when we lived up there but I never made it there. How fun for you!

Will & Cheyenne said...

What a GREAT trip!!! So glad you go away!

WalkConkies said...

I'm so glad you guys had a fun time and I'm still bummed that we aren't in McCall with you right now!!! I love all the pictures and can't wait to visit you up in Washington next Fall! I think I need to plant a lavender field close by to encourage the kids to be sleepy at bedtime!